Projects that Followed me into 2023

Welcome to 2023 everyone!

Like many crafters, I have a long list of Works In Progress (WIPs) and Unfinished Objects (UFOs).

While I don’t usually make formal resolutions, I do want to make a concerted effort to finish some of the things I started in the past year. At the very least I need to organize all my WIPs and UFOs so I know what and where they are.

The other side of this effort is to really and truly finish the new projects I start. I love finding new and exciting crafts to try but I need to be better and controlling the impulse to jump to the next shiny thing before wrapping up my current shiny thing 🙂

There are a couple new shiny things that I do have going, however. One is the Rose City Yarn Crawl mystery crochet along. The other is a Crochet Lentil, a pattern that I got from the Making App. Good news is that I finished the Lentil this week, so finishing something I started within the first week of the year feels like a good omen!

With the confidence of completing something, I feel ready to tackle my unfinished list. So, here are some of the bigger projects that I would like to finish (or at least make substantial progress on) by the end of January.

The Nordic Mosaic Afghan

The Annie’s Mosaic Tile Kit Club

The Cable Yolk Pull Over

The Wood Burned Runes

Creation of a Crochet Vest

This week has been taken up by making a very large scrap yarn hooded vest. I am making up this pattern as I go. I am also trying to remember to write it down as I go so I can recreate it.

I’m hoping to use up some of the yarn that I have collected that I keep passing over when making other things.

I created a fabric that I was hoping would be about wide enough to wrap around me.

I sewed the top closed and cut armholes into the fabric.

When cutting stitches, you want to cut the bottom of the stitch that is made through the row below. Then you pull the yarn very carefully until they close in on themselves. I also tied knots to make sure the stitches were secure.

Once the armholes were made, I tried it on and realized it was not quite wide enough to cover the front of me. I added a cable border that created the missing width.

I decided that I am going to add sleeves and turn the vest into a sweater. Hopefully I will be able to post a finished project here next week!

Bonus pics: Agnes really loved this piece and kept trying to wrap herself up in the fabric as I was making it.

She was very pleased when I laid it out for pictures!